Sugar beet accounts for 30% of the worlds sugar production. The sugar beet harvest in the UK usually takes place from September onwards with the beet being delivered into one of several sugar beet factories situated throughout eastern England. After cleaning, the beet is sliced into cossettes by a machine that resembles a kitchen grater and as much surface area is presented to maximise the sugar extraction process as possible. The sliced sugar beet is mixed with hot water and the sugar is extracted. After the water has been squeezed out, the pulp is dried and usually molasses is added back where upon the pulp is either used in its shredded form or it is pelleted.
Speedi-Beet® is manufactured from beet pulp which has not had molasses added to it and is therefore around 95% sugar free. The beet pulp then undergoes a further patented process and is then cooked utilising our process, micronization. This involves heating the dried beet pulp at relatively low temperatures for a short time using infra-red heat and prevents the protein from denaturing allowing for quicker release of nutrients into the horses digestive system. The micronizing process also imparts flavour into the beet pulp so the product does not require the use of added molasses i.e. sugar for palatability. The beet pulp is then flaked to increase surface area to aid rapid water absorption. That’s why Speedi-Beet® can be prepared in under 10 minutes instead of the usual 24 hours for traditional sugar beet pulp.
Unique Features of Speedi-Beet
• Pure, unmolassed, micronized sugar beet
• Provides a cool, slow release energy source
• Well digested in the hindgut – Beet pulp is approximately 80% digested in the hindgut
• Laminitis friendly fibre option
• 95% Sugar Free, very low starch level
• Short 10 minute soaking time
Choose Speedi-Beet when
• You need an alternative to feeding grains and high starch and sugar roughages for
– Laminitic or foundered horses
– Horses that can become fizzy
– Horses that are prone to tying up
– Horses with Cushings Syndrome
• You want to enhance gastrointestinal and microbial health
• You need to dampen the feed for horses with poor teeth
• You need to keep horses well hydrated
• You want to put condition onto your horse in a cool, safe manner.
• You have horses with or prone to ulcers